Ok, so maybe these where finished a week or so ago…. but none the less these are my first finished knits of 2009
pattern: Thorpe by Kirsten Kapur
yarn: 108.0 yards Malabrigo Yarn Merino Worsted in colorway indigo and 43.2 yards (39.5m) in verdes
needles: US 9 / 5.5 mm
started Jan 2 and finished Jan 3 2009
notes: I increased up to somewhere in between the med. and the large size since I was using a lighter yarn. So I had to fudge the numbers for the earflaps and such. Even though this style hat doesn’t flatter me, its nice and toasty when I’m shoving the driveway. I thought adding the green to the purl sides of the garter edge would tie it in nicely with my green cowl. I didn’t think about how much of a pain in the ass the ear flaps would be! I had lots of ends to weave in! However, all those extra ends made the ear flaps nice and thick!
ahhh, the necessary mitts.
Pattern: Urban Necessity Gloves by Colleen Michele Meagher
yarn: 1.47 skeins Noro Cashmere Island color 14
needles: US 6
Started January 6 2009 and Finished January 10 2009
notes: I casted on for the small size, knit 3” of the ribbing. Increased the thumb gusset for the medium size (13 thumb sts). If your really interested in how many rows each finger took its on my ravelry page. I used a slightly thinner yarn that what was called for, so my gauge was a little smaller. The only thing I had issues was with with the mitten cap. I ripped it out and knit it 3 times. I didn’t like how the decreases where written it left a “poof” of fabric on the top part of the cap. So I decreased it like you would well decrease for a sock! Its a little too shallow but its functional. These mitts are fantastic for getting the kids in the van and other things that I need my fingers for. Its wonderful to be able to flip the cap over my fingers when needed! I can still text with these on as long as I’m not trying to hold something else in my arms. I’ve been thinking about knitting a sweater from this yarn, it would be so beautifully soft, but holy crap would it pill like mad!
One last FO (I think) from 2008,
pattern: Birthday Cowl by Nova Seals
yarn: 118.8 yards Malabrigo Yarn Merino Worsted in verdes
needles: US 8 (5mm)
Started and Finished sometimes during early December
Notes: I needed a cowl and in a hurry this one fit the bill perfectly. I knit until it looked like I used the half the ball. My finished cowl is 8” high. All was good until we had a really cold day and I let my eldest daughter borrow it. She refuses to give it back.
I’m still working on a few things, started my first baby surprise jacket on Saturday during a class that I’m taking at Stitch your Art out in State College. Don’t think for a minute that we’re having a baby surprise. Oh.hell.no. This is being knit in worsted weight for a toddler sized Kailey sweater. I’m using Noro’s cotton kureyon (which is a pain in the ass, pulls apart easy and is incredibly sticky. Don’t know what I was expecting from a single ply cotton/wool blend!) and since I don’t have enough of the cotton kureyon I’m adding some stripes using Cascade 220 in 8906 Azur
I really have to be one of the worst students ever, still unable to shake not being on time for class in high school I still manage to be late for Cynthia’s class. After I got the sitter all settled on Saturday morning I went out to start the (new) van to find the tire on the passenger side was really low (again). So I had to put air in it (again). I was hoping to be able to stop at sheetz to get coffee on the way there, but putting the air in the tire kinda sucked that right out the window. I still managed to be late to the class! I promise next time I’ll be on time, and I’ll make sure to have my morning cup of coffee. I couldn’t think on Saturday my head was so foggy! I had to cast on twice, screwed up the first row, twice before I got it. At least now I’m sailing on my merry way.
Its totally killing me right now not to start something for myself. Like a vest, or a sweater…. *sigh*